In response to 'When do Moms Come First'? on LA Moms:
http://svmomblog.typepad.com/la_moms_blog/2008/11/when-do-moms-co.html
The thing is, as middle-class women, we are uniquely able to feel 'dissatisfied', and to be ever involved in re-defining ourselves.
This second time around, my circumstances are very different than when I raised my daughters. In those days, I and most of the women I knew worked hourly wage jobs and struggled to make ends meet. If we dreamed of school, it was of office skills training that would allow us to go up one or two levels at work.
Nowadays, most of the women I know are middle-class SAHM who, despite college degrees and the ability to obtain quite interesting work, dream of training as writers and artists . Unlike myself, most I know did the college thing back when, and have held the sorts of jobs women in my previous life couldn't conceive of holding. I find it interesting that even with the training, skills and jobs they could hold, they spend time dreaming like teenagers of 'someday' instead of truly digging in to the here and now.
I guess guys do have dreams of chucking and all and becoming __________, but it seems women are the ones that get the opportunity. Often because they've been working at home, being the mom, and can't easily get back to their old career.
No comments:
Post a Comment